2.4 How to Effectively Work with Older Students with Dyslexia
One of those topics we get asked about all the time is how to work with older students who are challenged by reading and writing. How can we work with them effectively? How can we give them what they need while also honoring where they are in their learning journey?
In this episode, we will dig in and talk about our own experiences with working with older students. We have both been so lucky to work with a wide variety of students across all age groups and grades. The beauty of Orton-Gillingham is that it works for so many different ages and grades!
Tune in as we share our perspective and give you actionable tips you can use to work with older students with dyslexia while remaining mindful of the social-emotional piece.
Hang around until the end when we tackle a question about tutor-parent collaboration!
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Episode 2.3: Why Students With Dyslexia Struggle with Homework with Cindy Hall
- Episode 1.15: All About Accommodations for Dyslexia
- Episode 1.3: Connecting Metacognition to Your Literacy Lessons
- Episode 1.7: Hope’s Journey with Hope McNabb
- High Noon Books
- Saddleback Publishing
- Simple Words Books
- Episode 1.8: How Decodable Texts Support Social-Emotional Learning
- Phonic Books
- Rewards reading intervention program
- Take Flight
- Learning Ally
- Casey on TpT - The Dyslexia Classroom
- Emily on TpT - The Literacy Nest
If you like this episode, please take a few minutes to rate, review, and subscribe. Your support and encouragement are so appreciated!
Have a question you’d like us to cover in a future episode of Together in Literacy? Email us at [email protected]!
If you’d like more from Together in Literacy, you can check out our website, Together in Literacy, or follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
For more from Emily, check out The Literacy Nest.
For more from Casey, check out The Dyslexia Classroom.
Thank you for listening and joining us in this exciting and educational journey into dyslexia as we come together in literacy!