2.11 How to Keep Your Eye on the Goal in Intervention
Learning to read proficiently is not an easy task for most students without explicit, systematic instruction. Current US reading scores indicate that 67% of all 4th graders are reading at basic or below basic levels. This fact is leading to many conversations about how we teach reading, what is necessary for classroom instruction, and how we help struggling readers.
We know that early readers, whether they are identified with dyslexia or not, really need appropriate instruction in the elements of word recognition, phonemic awareness, knowledge of phoneme and grapheme correspondence, and accuracy and automaticity of reading and spelling of words in the text to help them break that reading code.
In this episode, we’re sharing tips for how you can keep your eye on the goals of your interventions.
Tune in for five BIG areas of focus that will lead to BIG wins in your interventions.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Scarborough’s Reading Rope
- Helping Students Remember: A Structured Approach - Literacy Nest video
- Season 1, Episode 10: The Gradual Release of Responsibility
- 2.10 The Science of Reading: More Than Just a Buzzword
- Multi-sensory Instruction: Moving Beyond the Sand Tray
- The Color Coding Method to Teaching Sight Words
- Casey on TpT - The Dyslexia Classroom or The Dyslexia Classroom
- Building Readers for Life Academy
- Emily on TpT - The Literacy Nest or The Literacy Nest
If you like this episode, please take a few minutes to rate, review, and subscribe. Your support and encouragement are so appreciated!
Have a question you’d like us to cover in a future episode of Together in Literacy? Email us at [email protected]!
If you’d like more from Together in Literacy, you can check out our website, Together in Literacy, or follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
For more from Emily, check out The Literacy Nest.
For more from Casey, check out The Dyslexia Classroom.
Thank you for listening and joining us in this exciting and educational journey into dyslexia as we come together in literacy!