3.10 Effective Vocabulary Strategies in Literacy Intervention
Imagine being a learner who is new to English. Someone says to you, "Can you lend me a hand?” Imagine what that learner is processing. First, it’s a question. Second, think about the word lend. Do I know what that means? Third, lend a hand. Does that mean they literally want one of my hands?
In just one sentence, we’ve highlighted the essentials of language acquisition. A well-developed vocabulary is not only important in our conversations but also in the academic setting. For our challenged learners with dyslexia, their listening and speaking vocabulary might be very good, but when it comes to reading and writing, that’s where they need further support.
In this episode, we’re going to dig into the eight essential components of vocabulary instruction under the lens of literacy intervention.
200K Giveaway! And the winner is… The Together in Literacy Podcast has hit over 200,000 downloads! We are overjoyed and we want to share our excitement and gratitude with all of you. As a special thank you to our loyal listeners, we are each giving away a $20 credit to our stores: The Literacy Nest Shop and The Dyslexia Classroom Store. The winner is: Katie G. Bear.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- 3.3 The Connection Between Language and Literacy
- Definition of Dyslexia
- 1.13 The Matthew Effect and Literacy Development in Children
- Proust and the Squid by Maryanne Wolf
- 3.7 The Importance of Scaffolding in Decoding
- The Frayer Model
- Semantic Feature Analysis
- 1.3 Connecting Metacognition to Your Literacy Lessons
- Improving Vocabulary Skills Through Assistive Technology by Pam F. Lindsey-Glenn, James E. Gentry
- AAC iPad App Wheel
- Bringing Words to Life by Isabel L. Beck, Margaret G. McKeown, Linda Kucan
- Vocabulary Knowledge to Practice by Margie Bussmann Gillis, Nancy Chapel Eberhardt
- Academic Vocabulary for Middle School Students by Jennifer Wells Greene Ph.D., Averil Jean Coxhead Ph.D.
- Why Do We Say That? 101 Idioms, Phrases, Sayings & Facts! A Brief History On Where They Come From! by Scott Matthews
- Casey on TpT - The Dyslexia Classroom or The Dyslexia Classroom
- Emily on TpT - The Literacy Nest or The Literacy Nest
We officially have merch! Show your love for the Together in Literacy podcast!
If you like this episode, please take a few minutes to rate, review, and subscribe. Your support and encouragement are so appreciated!
Have a question you’d like us to cover in a future episode of Together in Literacy? Email us at [email protected]!
For more from Emily, check out The Literacy Nest.
For more from Casey, check out The Dyslexia Classroom.
Thank you for listening and joining us in this exciting and educational journey into dyslexia as we come together in literacy!